Over my 20-plus years in the behavior field, I haven’t heard a lot of talk about self-management. One place I did hear about it was in 2018 at the ABA International conference. I participated in a workshop called “Exploring the Systematic Use of Self-Monitoring as a Behavioral Intervention: The Self & Match System”. That presentation was given by my two guests, Dr. Katharine M. Croce and Jamie Salter. Katie and Jamie are responsible for the main school-based self-monitoring system I use, called Self & Match. Both Katie and Jamie have impressive academic backgrounds along with several years of real-world experience.
Katie, Jamie, and I discuss when and how they developed the Self & Match system and how far they’ve come since its humble beginnings. We also talk about their journeys into the field of ABA and how Katie and Jamie met. We then dive into what Self & Match is, how it works, and who it’s for. The official definition is an evidence-based self-monitoring system that’s used in schools, homes, clinics, and more. It’s a tool to systematically teach individuals how to self-reflect on their own behavior. We discuss how to get training on Self & Match and how to implement it. To learn more, check out the resources below.
- How Katie and Jamie got into ABA and created the Self & Match System.
- Who Self & Match is for and the goals it accomplishes.
- Resources on Self & Match and how to get started.
Mentioned in this episode
- Just 7 Steps YouTube
- Future Self & Match Trainings
- Research on Self-Monitoring and Self & Match
- Beyond the Walls: Establishing Classroom Expectations in a Virtual Classroom (journal article)
- Free Resource: T-Charts to teaching expectations
- Manuals ( 10% discount thru 2023 with promo code: JUST7STEPS)